University of Namibia Library Establishment
Library and Information Services are recognized world wide as indispensable contributors to education, research, knowledge creation, knowledge management and knowledge dissemination. The Library of the University of Namibia is a national information support system for providing access to high quality information and knowledge necessary to support the academic programmes and the curriculum of the University - it is a knowledge hub that underpins research and education.
The structure of the University of Namibia Library is inspired and guided by the long term national development goal of ‘Vision 2030’ as well as the short term national development goal ‘NDP3’ and ETSIP that set out the very ambitious target to join the ranks of higher income countries by the end of 2030 and afford all its citizens a quality of life that is comparable to that of the developed world.
With emphasis on enhancing the quality of life for all Namibian, Vision 2030 calls for rapid economic growth to be accompanied by equitable social development. These twin goals of growth with equity are to be pursued within a broader strategic framework of transforming Namibia into a knowledge-based economy in which institutions of higher learning are responsive to the skills needs of the country. The University of Namibia is expected to rise to the challenge of producing graduates that are fully equipped with all skills to support the social and economic demands of the labour market.
The University Library is a national support system for knowledge creation and knowledge management, providing access to relevant, appropriate and timely information in support of the mandate of the university. Access to high quality and relevant information services and facilities will enhance effective utilization of knowledge, resource-based learning and teaching, research and development, and rapid transfer of skills. The library thus underpins a knowledge-based economy.
To facilitate excellence in teaching and learning, create an appropriate study and research environment, anticipate and respond to student learning and research needs, contribute to positive graduate outcomes and provide an information infrastructure necessary for ground-breaking teaching, learning and research.
To deliver client-focused innovative information products, services and programs of the highest quality that are integrated with, and central to, the University’s teaching, learning, research and community service activities.
Commitment to Excellence
To work together as a team committed to provide the best possible service to our clients. We opt to maintain a safe, quiet, supportive and welcoming study, reading and research environment.
Transparency and Accountability
We use resources in an effective, ethical, transparent and responsible manner.
We provide training opportunities for all our staff to develop their knowledge and skills, and encourage innovation and respond creatively to new challenges.
We promote open, appropriate and timely communication to engage and inform students, staff and all our clients.
We embrace diversity and treat each other and our clients with respect and dignity.
Is that all library staff, services, collections and facilities become tools that meet the information needs of users in order to achieve the national goals now and in the future.
- Secure adequate facilities and resources and manage these creatively to serve as an intellectual home to students and staff and the community at large.
- Provide greater access to digital collections while continuing to build and improve collections in all formats to meet research, teaching and learning needs of the University.
- Recruit, hire, and retain quality staff with expertise in delivering excellent service in response to the rapidly changing needs of the University.
- Provide an easily accessible, user-friendly and safe environment that fosters research and study, teaching and learning for both library users and library employees.
- Apply appropriate technological innovations and promote innovative adoptions of emerging learning technologies to achieve productivity and efficiency.
- Communicate library services to raise awareness and promote partnership with other libraries, educational institutions and local community.
- Create a forward thinking, dynamic staff that is responsive and flexible in order to achieve the library mission and goals.
- Continue to improve the library’s effectiveness through systematic, ongoing outcome assessment.
- Offer formal and informal instructions to promote information literacy.
In order for the library to follow the principles of the mission, vision and goals outlined above, the library has articulated its structure with the basic staff compliment with the levels of skills and expertise to initiate, innovate, plan, implement and pro-actively deliver an information service that meets or exceeds the needs of the academic community.
Thank you for visiting our library site, enjoy exploring!