Welcome to the School of Military Science at the University of Namibia. It has long been a desire of the Ministry of Defence to establish a School of Military Science at UNAM to enhance coordination of all military academic programmes offered at the university. Our mission is to be a Centre of Excellence in developing knowledge and expertise in the fields of military history and military law, aeronautical science, nautical science and security and strategic studies in Namibia and the SADC Region.
The school mandate is to equip graduates with requisite skills and offer solid preparation for professional careers in military leadership as well as in civilian environment in the areas of commanding, analysis, research, consulting and analysis in the defence and national security.
The school fulfils the following functions in order to carry out its mandate:
- equip graduates with appropriate knowledge and skills and prepare them for a variety of careers according to national, regional and international needs
- carry out innovative research and disseminate knowledge that will benefit the national, regional and international contexts
- encourage growth in the adoption and use of contemporary military and civilian techniques and technologies for the benefit of the Namibian Defence Force
- provide variety of research and advisory services to the Ministry of Defence
- foster relationships with the stakeholders and industrial partners
- contribute to the social and economic development of Namibia
I am also delighted to announce another milestone; the school is now ready to enroll young Namibians form the public with an aim of transforming them into future military officers of the Namibian Defence Force.
We welcome all our students and aspiring future students. We hope you will find the visit to our webpage enlightening.