Who are we?
The Centre for Open, Distance and eLearning (CODeL) is an academic Centre at the University of Namibia, established through a merger between the Centre for External Studies (CES) and the Centre for eLearning and Interactive Multimedia (CeLIM) in 2016.
The University of Namibia created the Centre to contribute towards the University's Vision and Mission, to ensure greater access to Higher Education and equity for students from various educational and social backgrounds.
The Centre for Open, Distance and eLearning strives to become the leading Open, Distance and eLearning Centre in the country and beyond by enabling students to achieve their full potential and goals through accessible, innovative and flexible learning opportunities. The Centre serves as a hub for both print based and electronic learning material with the aim of ensuring greater access to education for all.
Why Choose CODeL?
- Flexible and accessible learning – CODeL ensures flexible and accessible learning methods, through Open, Distance and eLearning using the following methods:
- Distance Learning – a method of studying in which lectures are conducted by correspondence, without the need for students to attend regular face-to-face classes.
- Open Learning – an approach to learning that focuses on freeing students from constraints of time, space and place while offering flexible learning opportunities.
- eLearning – learning conducted via electronic media, typically on the Internet that can be accessed through computers, laptops and mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets.
- Blended learning – Supporting the hybrid use of face-to-face teaching and eLearning such as the Flipped Classroom, as well as distance education in order to support students' needs.
- Self-Directed learning – allowing students to select, manage and assess their own learning activities at their own pace and time, place of choice and at any age, offering students control over their learning environment
- Enhanced choices for study – For those students in a community with few or no Higher Education Institutions, or who cannot afford the cost of living in terms of relocation, CODeL offers prospective students a variety of programmes to choose from.